I promise not to blog one more ice cream related recipe after this one for a little while. This is a result of two things. One, I attempted a watermelon entry for AFAM: Watermelon being hosted by Bee & Jai a few weeks ago and the response to that entry was mixed so I didn't feel like submitting it. Second reason is that my house is over flowing with fresh fruits at the moment (got a little greedy at the store) and I am trying to quickly make good use of fruits before they pass their prime and this watermelon is one of them. I also realized after making the last three ice creams that I really should try a sorbet from David's book as its lesser in calories and fruity! So here it is, my final ice cream/sorbet recipe for the week and month! :) I give you Watermelon Sorbet for A Fruit A Month:
Recipe: Watermelon Sorbet (Based on David Lebovitz recipe in The Perfect Scoop)- 4 Cups Watermelon Juice (He recommends 3, I used 4)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Vodka (I used Absolut, its optional)
- A Pinch of Salt
Blend cut up watermelon in hand blender or regular blender to a smooth juice. It took a little over 1/2 medium sized watermelon to get 4 cups. Take 1/2 cup of watermelon juice and warm on stove. Add Sugar and Salt and stir it till sugar dissolves. Take the warmed mixture off the heat and add to remaining juice. Add lemon juice and vodka, if using to the blend and chill thoroughly. Add the mixture to your ice cream maker and set the sorbet per your manufacturing instructions. Scoope sorbet back into the emptied watermelon, wrap well and store sorbet till you are ready to use. My sorbet turned out crumbly soft and delicate. I loved the texture but it didn't create the perfect scoops with either the ice cream scooper or melon ball scooper. (While I was warming and blending and chilling the watermelon juice, I stuck the empty watermelon bowl in the freezer to keep chill as the vessel for the sorbet).
The sorbet ready for the freezer.
I dressed it up by running a fork all over to even out the look.
I dressed it up by running a fork all over to even out the look.
Candied Lemon SlicesDavid has this listed as a recipe for a mix-in in his Perfect Scoop but I reduced the quantities of the ingredients and as usual didn't pay attention to it like he requests but still ended up with decent chewy, lemony candied slices of tart heaven!
Recipe (loosely based on David Lebovitz' Perfect Scoop)
1 Large Lemon (I used organic), sliced thinly
1/2 Cup Water
1/3 Cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
Method:
Slice up the lemons really thin, remove any seeds and stick the slices in a non reactive pan covered in water on medium hot. Let it come to a rolling high boil and then reduce heat to lower and let it boil for 10 more minutes. Remove from heat, discard this water and add 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water and pinch of salt and put this back on the stove for 20 more minutes or till the candied lemons have become almost shiny translucent and the sugar syrup is thickened down considerably. Take off heat and let it cool down before use.
Putting it all together:
Scoop out some sorbet into a bowl, chop some lemon slices and top it off on the sorbet. Serve. Eat. Feel like you are in heaven!
Results: Ok, I am in love with David's book. I am so glad I got it with my ice cream maker and the watermelon sorbet is fantastic with the lemon slices. In his book he recommends putting some chocolate chips during the last go in the ice cream machine but I wasn't about to wake up the kids and trek to the grocery store for Chocolate Chips. I instead experimented with candied lemon slices and lime slices and this is what I came up with! The vodka is very subtle in the recipe and definitely gives it that oomph but if you are about to feed this to under age kids or prefer no alcohol, I think skipping it would be totally fine.
20 comments:
oh my goodness Archana, you have icecream fest here and now the sorbet. looks divine.
Someone is really putting that ice cream machine to use... :) I just hope we get some ice cream weather soon too...
It looks great, love the forked up effect...
It looks like an icecream and sorbet fest :)
Love the recipe... and the dressed up watermelon too :)
Vodka spiked sorbet.. Bring it on! The sorbet in the watermelon is a damn good presentation.
You come up with great desserts!! I'm all eyes for more icecream recipes :))
he he he... i guess ur icecream maker is not getting any rest these days;)
I made a slusy with gadget.Love the Sorbet,looks so delicious:)
wow...great looking ones....
Srivalli
www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com
gorgeous. thanks for this entry, archana.
I am going to try this with my yellow watermelon!
beautiful pictures!! the sorbet looks heavenly. the fork effect is good.
this looks so good archana..
Watermelon sorbet looks so perfect...Looks like you are totally into your ice cream maker these days!...stunning ice cream recipes!! I would love to get a recipe from you for a Chikoo ice cream....yummy
Whoa what an array of ice creams. Tasty, Tasty and Tasty
OMG, i just cant help but drool over the keyboard whenever i visit your blog... looks yumm.... and the pics are pretty good- a feast for hungry eyes...
I MUST try the candied lemons....yum.
I saved up watermelon to make sorbet, but then I got hungry last night and ate it.
:-(
p.s. can u do me a small favor and update the link to my site?
Thanks!
http://steamykitchen.com/blog
Wow....what an amazing array of ice-creams. Those pics have set me drooling.
Archana, I don't have an email address for you so I am posting a comment here instead. The frame buster script I posted earlier today breaks out of Blogger's dashboard. That's not quite desireable. I have posted an update on DH and tested it, too. Please update your template with the new script if you intend to continue using it. Sorry about this!
Don't hold back honey. You blog as much as you like about ice cream, even if we complain, keep bringing on that delicious creamy dessert :)
Roopa - thank you! Yes, the fest has continued still.
Sig- umm.. its been churning nonstop since I purchased it. When are you going to get it?
Cinnamon-thanks !!
Suganya-thank you for compliments. coming from such an outstanding photographer, i bow down!
Jyothnsa - wait for 2 more days and you will see the golmal in my house.
sia-nope. going to milk it for all its worth!
Asha- slushy sounds good with it, I ate some of the mango icecream while in process and it tasted like a slushy
Srivalli-thanks!
Bee-thanks for hosting a fab AFAM
Coffee-I saw your yellow watermelon, tell me how it goes ok?
Sharmi-sorbet was scrumptious but I am partial to those creamy items.
Dee-thank you
Poonam-I dont have a chikoo icecream recipe yet, if i come across one, i will forward to you.
indosungod-thanks!!more to come, i promise
Priyanka-geez! would you like some wipes.. i have more coming.
Jaden/steamy-your blog links updated, i love plain watermelon too.
Jayashree-Thanks!!
Manisha-gotcha!
Cynthia-Glad to see you back. Yes, I have more.
Post a Comment