Wednesday, May 23, 2007

JFI: Jackfruit Gadbad Ice Cream


Today is my birthday! Happy Birthday to me! We celebrated it one way by making my favorite ice cream concoction. My family is originally from Udipi in Karnataka, India. We used to make a few trips to there during summer holidays or puja or wedding times and besides the Krishna temple and the hot, humid, heat of coastal Karnataka; Gadbad ice cream is the most memorable part of my childhood memories from Udipi. Gadbad ice cream is basically a hodgepodge of fruit, nuts, ice cream and jelly served in a tall glass and the most important part of eating this ice cream is to mix up all the flavors and savor the various tastes and textures explode in your mouth. It was so tasty and good especially during those hot lazy summers when all of us cousins got together at Hotel Dianas in Udipi (apparently the originator of this style of ice cream per Shruthi)

I decided to honor my treasured jackfruit by making a very modified version of the Gadbad as an entry to Bee and Jai's JFI For Jackfruit. Here are some of the star ingredients of this ice cream:

Finely Chopped Jackfruit, Coconut Ice Cream, Raisins, Honey Coated Peanut and Cashews, Raw Cashews
Ingredients:
  • Finely Chopped Jackfruit (I used canned variety)
  • A few cubes of Jackfruit Coconut Cake (recipe on my blog)
  • Raisins (you can use multiple dried fruits but I stuck to Raisins for this one)
  • Cashews (I used Raw)
  • Honey coated Peanuts and Cashews (I got a packet of these from Trader Joes)
  • Coconut Icecream (I got a generic brand from an Asian market, you can use your favorite)
Recipe:
Layer dried fruits, then nuts into a tall glass. Add a layer of chopped jackfruit on top and then sprinkle in the cubed pieces of cake. Scoop in liberal amounts of ice cream and then top off the sundae with more chopped jackfruit, dried raisins and nuts. I would let all the flavors seep together for a minute or two and then dive in. Don't eat layer by layer but mix it all up and feel your senses get blown by the sweetness of the fruit, the softness of the cake, the chill of the ice cream and the crunchiness of the nuts.

Its pure heaven and even more better because its Jackfruit Gadbad! Enjoy.
Notes:
  • Source: My own creation
  • Information about the origins of Gadbad on Shruthi's blog
  • This is my second addition to JFI for Jackfruit over at Jugalbandi.
  • I used whatever nuts and fruit I wished, you can use dried figs, various ice creams, fruits, nuts combo. Whatever you prefer and desire and the results I am sure will be tasty.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the story about udupi and all the gadbad in the icecream glass. :-D
somehing akin to falooda, i guess, but a couple notches tastier.
happy birthday, archana. thanks for your entry.

Suganya said...

Happy Birthday Archana.. The warm daylight is a nice touch to the photos.

Roopa said...

Happy birthday Archana! HOpe you are having a great day! yummy gadbad icecream .... i remember in the hostel anyone is sick we would grap her share also, which was offered monthly once session...

Viji said...

Happy Birthday Archana, a nice treat. Viji

Richa said...

happy birthday archana.
that looks like one tasty bowl of icecream :)

FH said...

Happy happy B'day Archana.I have been to Udupi Krishna temple many many times and love it:))
Halasinahannu Ice cream is a great idea,bet it tastes delicious.I have can left,I will try:)

DEEPA said...

Belated happy birthday archana....Very nice pics...Yummy and mouth watering too ...Must have had a great time ....

upsilamba said...

A very happy birthday to you, Archana!!!

Though I mix nuts with icecream, I never had a name to go by, so Gadbad it is from now on. Thanks to you!

Did the twins enjoy their mommy's fav too?

TNL said...

hope you had a great birthday....! I love that name "Gadbad" icecream...when I first saw the title, I thought it was a post about an icecream gone wrong. :)

it looks good...i'll stay away from the Jackfruit though.

-trupti

Jyothi said...

Belated happy birthday Archana. Looks lovely. I hope, must had have a great day........

Sharmi said...

simple and lovely icecream. great one for JFI. will come back for more. Nice blog.

Sia said...

have u had ideal's gadbad? they r the best:)

Indira said...

What a perfect treat for a brithday girl!

Happy Birthday Archana!

A, mama of twins said...

@Bee - Yes, similar to Falooda but no vermicelli I guess. Thanks for hosting JFI!

Suganya - Yes, I love to take photos without flash in the daylight. Thanks!

Roopa - thank you my birthday was a blast. What a treat at the hostel!

Viji - great to see you here! Thanks!

Richa - thank you!

Asha - let me know what you think of it! Are you from South Kanara also?

Deepa - yes it was enjoyed by the jackfruit lovers in the family.
Thanks!

Upsi - thank you! Yes, the babies loved it but i only gave a little with all that sugar in icecream I didnt want to over indulge them!


Trupti - yes, gadbad sounds crazy but its a true mishmash. Yes, please only try this recipe if you LOVE jackfruit if not stay away!

Thanks Jyothi!

Sharmi - Welcome and thank you for the kind words!

Sia - i think I have, I have hit all the ice cream parlors in Udipi and Mangalore!! :) Great fan of ice cream in general and those summers were too hot not to enter an ice cream parlor.

Indira - thanks for the wishes. Yes, we had a great day and treat!

Sig said...

Hey archana, belated happy birthday! I missed a bunch of posts... :(. Hope you had a great birthday!

Green Chillies said...

Love this recipe. Will definitely try it out!

Anonymous said...

Archana,
Just read abt udipi gadbad..wasn't Diana worth it!!Every vacation v wd b taken to native Udipi(my mum,bro n me)by dad frm Mumbai, we cousins had to barge into Diana for Gadbad ..the tall glass full of everything frm dollops of icecream, nuts,jam etc! it was so filling! became nostalgic! tks for posting!

Rashmi said...

nice combination of fruits,nuts and icecream....ur photo looks great.. feel like helping out a serving for myself....heehhheee

do visit my blog when u find time.. and leave ur comments and suggestions...
blog title: envittuvirundhu
url: http://envittuvirundhusamayal.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

The writer of archanacooks.blogspot.com has written a superior article. I got your point and there is nothing to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not disagree with: People never say what they think, nor do they think what they say. Truth is that people lie. I will be back.