I want to dedicate this post to Indira of Mahanandi. One reason is because of her blog I really got into cooking more Indian food at home, secondly for inspiring me to participate in JFI event and I am not even a food blogger and finally she gave me the basic cake making skills needed for this cake with her fabulous Honey-Date-Walnut cake. Some history: In the beginning , I just read and absorbed all of Indira's recipes from the sidelines. Then I slowly started trying her recipes and commenting on her site. Her blog led me to more culinary adventures and I soon started reading many more food blogs. When I found out about Bee and Jai's JFI for Jackfruit I went a bit crazy. Jackfruit is my all time favorite fruit and growing up in Bangalore we had a huge jackfruit tree in our yard that yielded many sweet, delicious fruits over the course of the years. I love eating Jackfruit plain fresh from the trees but my amma also makes a south kanara dish called Halasina Hannu Appam . My inspiration for this cake comes from that appam and Indira's Honey-Date-Walnut cake. I have substituted Jackfruit for dates, coconut milk for regular milk, dried coconut and flax powder for the walnuts from her recipe. The end result totally floored me as I have never creatively done something like this. The cake was moist, you can totally taste the cardamom infused coconut flavors giving the strong jackfruit aroma a nice balance. My father who has the same love for jackfruit gave me his resounding approval of the cake which in my books means a lot as he is a picky food connoisseur.The star ingredients: Canned Jackfruit, Coconut Milk, Clover Blossom Honey, Cardamom
Recipe:
- 1 cup chopped Jackfruit (i used canned variety from asian store)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup syrup from canned jackfruit
- 2 Heaping Teaspoons Dry Flaked Coconut Powder
- 2 Heaping Teaspoons Flax Seed Powder
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk (i used canned variety shook up well)
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon of baking powder, baking soda and cardamom powder
Finely chop jackfruit into little bits. Take them in a cup and add honey and jackfruit syrup. Eggs: Break eggs into a cup and beat with a spoon.
Sift and add flour to a big vessel. Stir in flax powder, dried coconut, sugar, baking powder, soda and cardamom powder. Mix.
Add butter, coconut milk and eggs. Add jackfruit and honey/syrup mixed in. Combine all thoroughly. If the batter is too tight, adjust the consistency by adding little bit more milk. Pour the mixture into a cake pan. level it evenly.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the cake pan and bake in oven for approximately 40 minutes, until the top of the cake turns to light honey color and when a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Remove the cake from oven. Cool it and slice and serve.
The end result:
Notes and Inspirational Sources:
You can probably use fresh ripe jackfruit and fresh coconut milk for this recipe and I am sure it would taste great but I didn't have fresh fruit here in Seattle and I was not in a mood to grind coconut milk from scratch.
I added the flax powder for additional omega 3 fats and flavor. It certainly gave the cake an additional layer of subtle texture. You can probably skip this if you dont have flax powder handy or dont want additional calories.
Please leave me a comment on your thoughts of the photos and recipe. This is my first time blogging about food officially and I am very open to feedback and thoughts.

23 comments:
Words cannot describe how beautiful the cake and the photos look. Very well presented and I am very much tempted to try this recipe.
Congratulations Archana on your food blog! Also thanks for your kind notes about Mahanandi.
Best wishes,
Indira
That is a wonderful recipe Archana. Pretty soon others will be perusing the sidelines of your blog for recipes and tips! Great way to kick start your food blogging. Thanks for participating. --Jai
Congrats on your new blog, Archana! It's time to acknowledge that good things come out of jackfruit, too! :-D
Looking forward to yummy recipes from you. Hugs to your beautiful babies!
Indira: Thank YOU! I am glad you like my pictures. My amma thought I was crazy with the amount of pictures and moving around of furniture I did to get shots. I have new appreciation for food bloggers.
Bee/Jai: Thanks for blogrolling me and I hope to keep this up. With twins keeping me busy I dont know how often!
Manisha: Welcome and Yes, I dont know why people are complaining about Jackfruit. Its a very manageable fruit and a newbie like me can make it then there is no excuse!
Hi Archana,
Cake looks yummy,wish I could take a slice right from that mouthwatering picture;)
Archana, what a beautiful recipe! Shall try it out soon. Very tempting pics.
Thanks!
-Mathy
Okay...the photos look like something out of Martha Stewart! Just gorgeous.
Archana, congrats on your new blog, welcome to the food blogging world!
That cake looks simply delicious! You say its your first time photographing food, but girl this is just superb, kudos to you...
Congratulations on your new blog Archana! Lovely picture and great recipe! Thank you for the link!
Good wishes,
Smita
Way to go, Archana!
And boy! you have started off with a tempting recipe.
Deepa - thanks! My diet has not been helped by this cake!
Mathy - Thank you! Do let me know how you like it after trying it out.
Thanks Betsy! Thats a great compliment to be related to Ms. Perfection!
Sig - Your compliments are much appreciated!I am blushing! I guess taking a million pics of the babies has given me some sense of photography. I still have a ways to go I think!
Smitha - You have a lovely blog, its my pleasure to link you. Thank you for the nice wishes.
Upsi - Thanks! Glad you hopped over from my blog.
Congratulations on your new blog!
Wonderfull recipe to start into the blog world!
Delicious recipe too!
archana, what a fabulous start!! beautiful pictures and tempting cake. i am looking forward to many more.
Reena
http://spicesofkerala.wordpress.com/
Beautiful post! Welcome to the food blog world!
welcome to the wonderful world of food blogging archana:) after reading ur wonderful posts on ur cute twins i am glad to see u start ur food blog. love the way u have captured the cake loaf. just beautiful:)
r u from south canara too? i love jackfruit appa which we also call as suttavu:)
Cool! welcome to the world of food blogging!!! :)
I just bought a tin of jackfruit on an impulse and look what I have, a JFI for jackfruit. The cake looks delicious!!!
Roopa, Reena - THANK YOU for visiting and enjoying my recipes.
Nupur - You have a great blog, I will have to come visit and try your A_Z posts soon!
Sia - Yes, I am from South Kanara originally (family is from udipi/karkala) but I never lived there. Are you konkani? Cause we dont call our appams that..thank you for checking out my blog.
Kay - Thank you! Jackfruit is yummy but I found people either love it or hate it.. no in between on this fruit. So I am looking forward to your JFI entry.
Gorgeous!!Looks absolutely delicious.I have got to try this,thanks Archana:))
Hi Archana,came here thru Desimomz..I am going to read your blog once my little one is back from the nursery and into her nap.I must say that cake looks very tempting.got to find the canned jackfriut now..
Did you know that you can substitute eggs using flax seeds?I have used in many cakes where eggs are used primarily as binding agent.It works and you get fewer calories by eliminating the egges.Of course,if you feel comfortable only..:)I use 1 tbsp grouond flax seeds to 3 tbsp hot water,keep it aside for a few mins until it gels and becomes gooey like egg.then use is like normal egg.
Welcome Archana! What an entry! Indira was/is my inspiration too. Same pinch!
Asha - thank you for the compliments and visit. Much appreciated!
Vini K - The tip about flax seed is good. Will get it a try and let you know how it works! Thanks!
Inju Pennu - Welcome to my site and yes, isnt Indira the best?!
Thanks for the pinch. ;)
I bought some Jackfruit today and was looking for recipes to use it in as I have never used it before, I cam across this recipe and decided I loved the sound of it so made it straight away! It is so most and beautiful! The coconut perhaps gets a bit lost in it so I may add more next time but still delicious!
Post a Comment