Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cook Island Coconut Cake

Recipe
2 Cups Sugar
4 Eggs
2 1/2 Cups Flour
2 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Cup Dry White Wine
Pinch Salt
1 Teaspoon Vanilla

Coconut Filling and Icing
3/4 Cup Cream Cheese
2 Tablespoon Butter
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
3 Cups Freshly Grated Coconut (I used 3 cups sweet desiccated coconut instead and reduced confectioner sugar)
2 Cups Icing Sugar, sifted (I used 1.5 cups instead as I had sweet coconut)

Method
Preheat ovent to 350F. Butter a 9 inch cake pane and line with greased paper.

Icing and Filling: Mix all together until smooth, refrigerate till ready to use

Cake
Beat sugar and eggs in food processor for 30 seconds (I used electric hand mixer). Sift flour and baking powder together and add  bowl with oil, wine, salt and vanilla. Blend and beat for 1 minute. Pour mixture into cake pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes till it comes out clean with a tester. When cake is cool, split in half and fill with coconut mixture. Spread remainder on the cake and sprinkle with confectioner sugar to cover the rest of the cake.

I added mango slices inside and around the cake for extra flavor and color.

The cake was moist and delicious! A sure win recipe and easy to make.

Inspired by our cook island trip. Recipe from South Seas Cuisine, restaurateur of Tamarind House Restaurant as an excerpt from our Air Rarotonga In-flight magazine.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks fantastic - may I request you to check out my Crazy for Cakes event - Look forward, cheers, Priya

http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/2011/02/announcing-second-guest-event.html

Sumit said...

Awesome and yummy cake....now i can taste the Island cake in my home....Such a amazing thing