Saturday, September 6, 2008

Mujadarrah and Middle Eastern Salad on Orcas Island

Our Mujadarrah and salad ready for plating.

This past labor day we made our annual pilgrimage to Orcas Island in the Pacific Northwest. Orcas island is located in Washington state's San Juan Island group. The whole set of islands are in a rain shadow and typically receive less rain than Seattle area. So we were fortunate to escape some dreary Seattle weather last weekend to 4 full days of sunshine on Orcas. We have been to Orcas island at least 6 six times in the last 7 years and I never seem to tire of it. Last year we went with my folks and made yummy goli bajes at our cabins. This year, we went with some friends and our Korean au pair. We enjoyed sharing meals and drinks with them and watched many a sunsets on the beach. Our routine was predictable and totally boring but we loved relaxing by the beach and doing nothing important. These days every one is connected to everything and it was nice to getaway for few days without a laptop, wireless connection or cell phones. We didn't have a TV in our cabins and this helped us all get to bed at an ungodly hours. Considering my son gets up at 6 a.m every day we actually felt rested when we got up instead of the usual fried state we are in the a.m.

One of the dishes I made for dinner to share is this easy middle eastern rice and salad dish. I got the recipe from one of my favorite cookbook additions called the The Healthy Hedonist by Myra Kornfeld (author of The Voluptuous Vegan). I have yet to read her other cookbook but based on just trying out a few recipes from the Healthy Hedonist,  I have no doubts it will be good too. Myra Kornfeld has a ton of recipes with asian and middle eastern inspired tones and Mujadarrah is one recipe that I have tried out a couple of times with great success. The key I think to this dish like she rightly notes is the carmelized onions. Do not skimp on the onions or the oil used to create them, this is what makes the dish so spectacular with so few ingredients. I have given her recipe below with my changes or notes following. 

Mujadarrah Recipe (source: The Healthy Hedonist, Myra Kornfeld)
  • 1 Cup Brown lentils (I used Red Masoor Dal on hand)
  • 1 Cup Brown Basmati Rice (I used white basmati on hand)
  • 4.5 Cups Water
  • Salt
  • 6 Tablespoons extra-virgin oil
  • 3 Cups thinly sliced onions ( I used more, about 4 cups)
  • Freshly Ground Pepper
Salad
  • 3/4 pound tomatoes, seeded and cut into small dice (about 1.5 cups)
  • 1 medium cucumber, peeled and cut into small dice (about 1 cup)
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, white and green parts (forgot to use these once, it was fine)
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper (i used lemon pepper)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I forgot to use this once and it was just fine)
Method:
Wash lentils and rice, drain well. Transfer to a saucepan, add water and bring to boil. Then lower heat, add 1.5 teaspoon salt, cover, and simmer untill all the liquid has absorbed and lentils and rice are cooked through, about 40 to 45 minutes (note - I put my lentils and rice in rice cooker and it cooked well in there too with the masoor dhal).  If cooking on stove top, do not stir during the cooking time and check occasionally to see if more water is needed. If the lentils and rice are cooked but there is some liquid left in the pan, remove the cover and let it cook til the water has evaporated.

Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in a skillit over medium heat and saute onions, stirring frequently until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and put in a bowl to stop the cooking. When the lentils and rice are cooked, add the onions along with any oil in the bowl and stir to combine. Stir in sprinkling of black pepper. Taste, and add more salt if necessary.

Make the salad: Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, parsley, salt and black pepper to taste, add lemon juice and olive oil in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. 

Top the mujadarrah with the reserved onions and serve with the salad. We also serve some warmed pita bread with a cucumber cilantro yogurt spread as a side dish. 


Verdict? Well, considering this was like the 3rd time I made this dish in about a month, its a family favorite. The kids especially A, loves onions and she had a fair share of the dish.

Here are some other photos and memories from our lovely weekendish getaway.

Since our au pair is from Korea, I have been trying out more korean dishes in the last month to help her with her homesickness for Korean food plus we are learning all about Korean food culture too !Yummy Jap chae noodles on Orcas, recipe from Jaden's Steamy Kitchen:
Sunset views from our bonfire area at West Beach, Orcas

More sunset views, a different day, a bit earlier than above.
A beautiful madrona tree on our mini hike at Obstruction Pass State Park, Orcas.
The gang sans kids at sunset, enjoying wine, beer, s'mores. Life couldn't get any better.

The docks at sunset, different day.

The mossy bark on our hike at Obstruction Pass State Park, Orcas.


13 comments:

notyet100 said...

nice pics,...salad look yum,..

anudivya said...

Fellow blogger from Seattle! Glad to have come across your blog. It looks great, and the salad looks gorgeous.
Good work.

Rachel said...

Gorgeous pics..

Anonymous said...

breathtaking.. ah.. i love the pacific northwest..
i am glad you had fun, hon.
and congrats on getting an au pair :)

Priyanka said...

Mujadarrah is just amazing, isnt it? however, i tried out the recipe from another middle eastern cookbook and the author uses cracked wheat with lentils instead of basmati rice.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a lot of good r&r and good food! orcas is on the list!

Anonymous said...

The pictures are fantastic! You have captured their beauty very well.

KayKat said...

Wow! I always loved mujadarrah, but seeing it in the setting makes me love it even more!

I can't wait to hear Orcas stories. Those pix are phenomenal!

Webinsider said...

Hello Archana:

I am a fellow blogger who learned it the hard way that getting traffic for a blog is a very painful process.

After being frustrated for several months, I started a project so that we bloggers can help each other in growing our reader base.

http://blogoxy.com

Blogoxy guarantees to bring more readers to your blog. Take a look and please give me your feedback.

Best Regards,
~deek

Anonymous said...

recently had mujadarrah. loved it. with your recipe it's time to try! excellent vacation pics as well.

-jai

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog and the beautiful pics. u are lucky to be living is such an awesome place. We were in WA once for a week, but would love to live there!!

The mujadarrah looks real interesting, nourishing and easy to make. Making it this weekend:-)

Am adding u to my Links.

1000 Markets said...

What a pleasant surprise to discover your blog! I found it through a roundabout way. A friend of mine asked me (on Twitter, no less) what an Arrowhead cabbage looked like (I posted a recipe) and I googled and found your cabbage photo on your June 10, 2007 post and sent him your way... and that is how I discovered your blog and your latest story about your trip to Orcas.

Not only am I a gigantic fan of the foods you like to cook, but I live on Orcas Island and I am working hard to give foodcrafters and other artisans a place to sell their products online. You can see our start here: http://sanjuanartisans.1000markets.com

Let me know what you think!

Anonymous said...

Hi Archana,
Sorry this does not have anything to do with your post directly but I do not have an email address for you..

This is to request you to find the time to take a look at my food blog http://thecookscottage.typepad.com I have been writing it since 2005.( There is a long standing link to your blog from mine BTW)

Every few months I have had posts of mine copied wholesale by one paper or another. The latest, and for the third time in a row, is The Times of India group. They published a piece today which was a straight lift from something I had written in May 2006.The proof is there on the blog in the form of photographs. Please follow the links as well so you will know some of the history of their ongoing plagiarism.
My blog is not high prose...nor is it fantastically creative. Nevertheless we all own our words and photographs, published, as they are, not for money but, for the sheer joy of writing about what interests us.
I would be very grateful if you could log onto the site and support me by leaving a comment. It will be immensely helpful for a prospective battle against this very arrogant Goliath.

Thanks