- Half large onion ( I chose a nice purple onion)
- 1 cup chopped sweetened & dried tamarind (i used Trader Joe brand)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (i used 2%)
- 2 Cups All-purpose flour (you can substitute wholewheat pastry flour also)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 Green Chili chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- ~3 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp of your favorite Rasam powder (I used MTR brand)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground lemon pepper or whole pepper
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
Method:
Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Grease a muffin tray.
Heat a saute pan to medium and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and add cumin seeds, in a few seconds, throw in the onions, garlic, green chili and turmeric powder and saute for about 5 minutes till onions are translucent. Let it cool. If you want to speed up the process, add the milk. In a large bowl beat eggs till whipped, add rest of the oil and sauteed mixture and stir well. In another bowl combine flour, rasam powder, baking powder, salt, pepper. Add tamarind bits and tomato pieces to the dry ingredients and mix in. Pour egg mixture plus cheese into the dry ingredients and blend till combined. Pour into greased muffin trays. Bake in oven for 25 minutes. Muffins will be browning ever so slightly on the edges, poke a toothpick in the middle to test. If its clean, then its done. Cool muffins on a rack, take pictures, etc. etc. Eat warm! Also goes great as a giant crouton in soups!
Muffin with Butternut Squash Soup
Verdict? I have to say, I was nervous creating this one. I think the cream cheese tempered the spicy overtones just right and the tamarind and tomatoes gave this muffin the right tart and tangy flavors. The tamarind bits added the right texture too. Next time I will be sure to add some chopped up cilantro as it was missing. I didn't have any handy! I know what kind of Indian doesn't keep stock of cilantro around!! The rasam powder added a nice spicy touch and if you like them really spicy increase to 1.5 or 2 teaspoon!
Thanks Bee and Jai for the "technical" aspects of a savory muffin. :) You know --how much flour to egg ratio etc.. You guys should try it out as you are fans of savory stuff.
****UPDATE*** I just found out I won a contest, I won second place for the overall SPECTRA award and I was the winner for DELISH - the picture that is most drool-worthy in a click contest!!! WOW, this is so exciting. A recreational blogger, a real amateur photographer getting a photo event award is out of this world. Thank you judges and Bee & Jai for organizing this for the food blogging community. Here I can't even work blogger well to hyperlink my badges to your site. How sad is that! Thanks again!



21 comments:
Phewwwwwwwwww! When I saw the heading.. that was my reaction. When I read thru the recipe, I said this does sound delicious. Absolutely, green chillies, tamarind, make it so savory. I have to try these out, seems irrestible. So different and Innovative. I will pass on a Innovation award to you! Congrats.
WOT! Rasam muffins!! You deserve to win that click contest. Congratulations A!:)
Congratulations on the CLICK win! That was a fabulous picture.
Rasam muffins- how very innovative!
i have this big stash of rasam podi. thanks for the great idea.
congratulations on winning the click event. The pic was awesome. And rasam muffins thats really creative and looks very delicious. It must have tasted really good.
Congrats on the Win! The muffins look so yummy!
Congratulations on winning Click Archana. The muffins look yummy and I am really intrigued by this recipe.
Mamatha
First of all, congratulations on the award. I am very intrigued by the way you thought about the combination. Very creative I would say!
oh the rasam muffins are here... I really didn't believe you when you said it... :) Looks *yummy* REALLY... :D and I dont even like rasam :p
Hi Archana,
Congratulations on ur award.
Tomato Rasam Muffins ..very innovative recipe & pictures looks yummy..thanks for sharing this recipe.
haha.. that surely is a fascinating recipe :) and u won the click awards, right? congrats!!!!!! :D
Congratulations!!!! for the CLICK award. And those muffins are making me drool..coz of some rasam in it!! Very Creative..
i bow my head!!!! that is one facinating and unique recipe archana:) i know we indians anre quite creative and adaptive when it comes to cooking but this recipe just blew me away :)
I was like err rasam and tomato ina muffin....took a while for me though...very interesting..
Congrats..it was definitely a droolworthy pic
i was abt to suggest u taking break from looking after ur twins when i read the title;) he he he...
where is ur feet lady??? i bow my head to the queen of innovation... this has to the one of the best fusion recipes i have ever come across.. and the pics are simply superb!!!
i just showed it to my hubby dear and he wants me to make it for him... but i dont have good relationship with oven :( so asked him to make it himself, i guess he might just do that;)
its great. new recipe. great pics.
Well that is some world-class creation and I like the world class pic of the muffin suspended in the air with the tomatoes in the bg! Rock on girlfriend!
novel!
Wont say that I am grossed out, just intrigued. I bet they are quite tasty.
that was very creative :) never thought of a rasam muffing:)
Post a Comment