Sunday, June 10, 2007

Markets: Ballard Farmers Market

We have been going to the farmers market around the area every week and this time we went to Ballard's Farmers Market today. As usual the kids have a lovely time and we ended up eating crepes at the market and bought loads of fresh fruits, veggies and bread.

Here is a picture of an interesting "vegetable" that I didn't end up buying. I guess I wasn't feeling too adventurous today but it looked so nice and fresh that I had to take the snap. Its called Sea Beans and as the little note says, tastes and smells of the sea. I guess that put me off!

"This interesting plant grows in the tidal area flats and is also known as Marsh Samphire or glasswort. Its crisp stems taste and smell of the sea - use blanched for a salad with fish, in brothy soups or pickled. And remember - don't add salt"

My shopping from the market: Fresh local strawberries, plump juicy tomatoes, yellow onions, artisan whole wheat bread with honey, arrowhead cabbage, organic spinach, baby asparagus and my favorite - Sweet Chelan Cherries!
Will be posting some pictures and recipes of these wonderful ingredients over the week. Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

FH said...

Happy Monday! Wonderful collection of veggies.