Saturday, June 2, 2007

Drinks: Mango Blueberry Smoothie

Yes, another drink recipe but this one was especially designed and created for my little tots. A & N are now 13 month olds and they are definitely two little people with strong opinions and desires. I usually give them a fruit based yogurt at the end of the meal but today being another scorcher of a day in Seattle, I decided to liven up their plain vanilla cream yogurt with a couple of dazzling fruits. The list of ingredients is small but the taste of this smoothie is superb. The mangoes and blueberries go together like a pair of twins themselves and impart their sweet and tart flavors to a creamy base of vanilla yogurt and whole milk. I didn’t have to use ice in this recipe as I used frozen fruits and they gave the smoothie the texture it needed along with whole milk to whip it all up into a nice drink.

Mango Blueberry Smoothie

  • 1/2 cup or 4 oz Vanilla Cream Yogurt
  • 1/4 cup Frozen Blueberries
  • 1/2 cup Frozen Mango Chunks
  • 1/4 cup Whole Milk
  • Mint Sprig for Garnish

Put all the ingredients in the mixing beaker and hand blend till all ingredients are whipped into a nice smooth finish. I love my Cuisinart Hand Blender for these types of drinks. It’s done in a minute and clean up is super easy! Pour the blended drink into a glass and garnish with fresh mint.

This smoothie was a huge hit with the kids and the kid in me:
Notes:
- Source: My own creation
- You can probably substitute lower fat yogurt and milk for this recipe but they both definitely added to the creamy richness and high calorie requirement for my kids.
- The Mangoes, Blueberries were frozen and can be found in your local Trader Joe's as was the creamy full fat Vanilla Yogurt.

9 comments:

Sig said...

Yummy! Beautiful picture as usual Archana... This is something I'll like... I too use my hand blender for these, u are so right, clean up is so easy!

FH said...

Wonderful smoothie,I made one too today.Gorgeous color:)

Richa said...

looks yum and creamy! blueberries bring out such a fab color :)

Roopa said...

this is awonderfull treat for the kids! they love it anytime right!

A, mama of twins said...

Sig - thank you! Yes, love that blender.

Asha - thanks! Hope you enjoyed yours as much as we enjoyed ours!

Richa- yes, thank you! Blueberries are colorful and staining! Good with the bad isnt it?

Roopa - yeah the kids love sweet creamy stuff all the time! :)

KenKorb said...

I work at Trader Joes, and I got the frozen blueberries and mango chunks last night 'cause they're my favorite fruits, and I wanted to make a smoothie but was wondering if they would go together well. Thanks for the reassurance haha I'm so pumped for this smoothie.

Anonymous said...

We made chicken mango quesadillas the other night, and had a fresh mango left that was about to go bad. I knew I had some frozen blueberries left from last summer, so I came on the internet looking for a recipe, and found this one! I'm drinking it right now, and it's wonderful - thank you!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I just made this smoothies and it is so yummy! And the color is so rich and pleasing to the eye. A wonderful start to the day! Thanks for posting it!

lynntofu said...

Pretty picture! I liked this smoothie. I prefer frozen blueberries over fresh. I don't care for the chunkiness of the fresh ones when blended.